"Epigrams"
“Epigrams”
In a large book of illustrations
I often referred to during my pastoral years there were sections called “Epigrams”.
These were short sayings dealing with various topics (much like Proverbs) which
put key thoughts into a few words. Over time I collected many of these adages
which found their way into sermons, church bulletins, blog postings and on
signs outside church buildings. They’re marked by brevity, wit, irony and other
qualities which make them memorable.
With this article I’m beginning a
series on “Epigrams”. If I’m able to document sources (many are unknown)
they’ll be included along with a related biblical reference. They’re listed in
random order but those dealing with God’s Word head the list.
“The Bible has survived the
ignorance of its friends and the hatred of its enemies.” (Our Daily Bread).
“Your word. O Lord, is eternal; it stands firm in the heavens.” (Psalm 119:89).
“Americans revere the Bible—but
by and large they don’t read it.” (George Gallup). “…Focus on reading the
Scriptures to the church….” (1 Timothy 4:13, NLT).
“(The Bible) is an invaluable and
inexhaustible mine of knowledge and virtue.” (John Quincy Adams). “All
Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and
training in righteousness….” (2 Timothy 3:16).
“The Christian’s life is the
world’s Bible.” (Dwight L. Moody). “You yourselves are our letter, written on
our hearts, known and read by everybody.” (2 Corinthians 3:2).
“A liar better have a good
memory.” (Abraham Lincoln). “So put away all falsehood and ‘tell your neighbor
the truth’ because we belong to each other.” (Ephesians 4:25, NLT).
“The three stages of life are
youth, middle age and you’re looking good.” (Jim Stark). (“{God has} decided
the length of our lives.” (Job 14:5, NLT).
“The more I learn, the more I
realize I don’t know.” (Albert Einstein). “Can you fathom the mysteries of God?
Can you probe the limits of the Almighty?” (Job 11:7).
“Seven days without prayer make
one weak.” (Christian Folk Wisdom). “I have called upon You every day, O Lord;
I have spread out my hands to You.” (Psalm 88:7, NASB).
Ponder these bits of down-home
wisdom. More next time.
Grace and Blessings!
Jim McMillan

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home